Wednesday, November 7, 2007

REM denied 11/06/2007

I had always worried,

That if I let her go

She’d come and get me in my sleep

Unlike a large ball slowly rolling at me,

My most recognizable bete noire,

A representation of inescapable doom.

Her appearance in my dreams was much worse.

Her form was not scary or disturbing,

Nor were her actions fear inducing

Actually, quite the opposite.

It was the delayed realization…..

The realization that her presence forced upon me

The realization that she would disappear at dawn

This was the nightmare

The glimpse of what might have been

Followed by the cold wisp of the truth

Shutting my eyes at night, knowing what is likely to come.

Being unsure of which was more painful

The false pleasure of dreams,

Or the harsh reality of morning.





Bete noire \bet-NWAHR\, noun:
Something or someone particularly detested or avoided; a bugbear.


No comments: