Monday, January 14, 2008

toddlers suprise 1/14/2008

standing around the dark amber red corvette
noticing the wisp of anticipation on my siblings eyelids
blinking incessantly, one of them
staring or jostling around, the others

myself calm, cool, and collected
for I know,
that when the stiff accountant/lawyer type
emerges from behind the curtain
he/she will announce primogeniture

and after a long pause,
a request for a repeat of that word,
and then a request for the definition of that word
(most likely from my youngest sister,
not put off by having to ask for definitions to words)
they would turn, glare at me, and wonder
how long had I known

known that it was all mine

and with my eyes, my greedy smile,
and the fact that I already had keys made,
and was pulling one out of my breast pocket,
they would realize that I had known,
known from the minute I was born,
the minute I was bundled up in warm blankets,
and looked around to notice only one other older sibling
and that sibling was a girl.


primogeniture \pry-moh-JEN-ih-choor\, noun:
1. The state of being the firstborn of the same parents; seniority by birth among children of the same family.
2. (Law) An exclusive right of inheritance that belongs to the eldest son.

No comments: